Search This Blog

Saturday, May 9, 2009

A Patriot's Dream ...

It's the new craze in my part of the world. Everyone has something to say about it. It's splashed across the papers, it resounds on the radio and television, it's the agenda on every executive meeting, and the buzz on every street corner.
What are we talking about? ... in one word: PATRIOTISM!

Yes, yes, i know, it's more popularly being called 'rebranding,' but think about it. Why would anyone go through the trouble of branding or rebranding something? It would inevitably involve a significant amout of work: time, money, manpower, discipline, sacrifice, vision, perseverance ... etc; therefore, no one could undertake such a task successfully unless they actually, truly, loved whatever it is they are 'branding' or 'rebranding.'
In this case, the object of all this rebranding effort is an entire country; so, if the efforts are to yield lasting success, the persons undertaking the effort must actually love this country - in other words, they must be patriots! Otherwise, all efforts will as effective as building a tower on sinking sand.
So there you have it - you call it rebranding, i say GREAT! On your marks ... Get set ... Rebrand!
BUT first, you must have a patriot's heart, and you must have a patriot's dream ...

What exactly is a patriot's dream? I could explain, but I think it would be more effective if you actually 'saw' one - please, allow me. It happened like this:
It was the evening of boxing day 2007, the close of a very frustrating day; there was no power, so i sat in the dark in my little living room, and i let my mind roam free. I thought about my country, how incredibly blessed we are, yet the average person is unable to enjoy these blessings, why? ... but looking beyond the depressing circumstances around me, and imagining the possibilities that could be, I had a 'dream.' So i took pen to paper and wrote these words...


Land of My Dreams
Copyright © Ifueko Ogbomo 2007

I dream of a land, a land of peace
Whose people are always content
I dream of a land, a land of progress
Whose resources are never ill-spent
I dream of a land, a land of faith
There’s belief in a better tomorrow
I dream of a land, a land of unity
All join in the fight to end sorrow
I dream of this land, by day and by night
Its beauty and splendour remain in my sight
Every man and woman, every girl and boy
Young and old, are all filled with such joy!

Where is this land of my dreams?
Where is this land of my future?
It has captured my heart
It’s my land, my home

This land of my dreams, is Nigeria, can’t you see?
Oh, how I long to make my dream come true
But I can’t on my own; I need you to join me
And together we’ll make this land brand new
Yes I pledge to Nigeria, land of my dreams
To be faithful and honest, loyal and true
I pledge to Nigeria, land of my dreams
With all of my strength I will serve her anew
I pledge to defend her unity
To abide by her laws and her creed
Of fear and doubt I have no need
For with God on my side, I am sure to succeed

Nigeria, land of my dreams
Nigeria, land of my future
Nigeria, has captured my heart
Nigeria, my home

Though many in cultures, in tribes and in tongue
Our hearts beat as one, so let’s sing this new song:
Nigeria, Land of our dreams
Nigeria, Land of our future
Nigeria, it has captured our hearts
Nigeria, our blessed home!

_ _ _


Last Words:
In March this year, the Nigerian Government officially launched a rebranding process, with a well-chosen slogan: 'Good People, Great Nation.' As I heard the news, I smiled to myself and thought, ahhh ... perhaps, my dream is coming true. I pray with all my patriot's heart that it is so.


Patriotic and Unashamed.
- Lady InspiroLogos

No comments:

Post a Comment